- This event has passed.
Zoom Online Course: You Can Write That Book
22nd April 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 3rd June 2020 @ 8:00 pm£95.00
You Can Write That Book
Would you like to write a book and be a published author?
Are you already in the process of writing a book, but feel stuck or lost your confidence and drive?
Are you keeping a journal or have accumulated material, which lends itself to be turned into a book?
IF THE ANSWER IS ‘YES’, THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU AND NOW IS THE TIME.
A UNIQUE COURSE, DESIGNED FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO WRITE:
- A book based on their work or profession
- A self-help or self-development book
- A book about a subject they know through practice, research and experience
The course is based on my experience as an author of four varied books, three of them published by publishers and one self-published. It is also based on successfully facilitating workshops and courses for aspiring authors. It is intense, guiding you through a process that will provide you with a clear book outline – content and structure – and a book proposal and chapter ready to send to publishers or to use a base format for self-publishing. It consists of five zoom modules, course notes and homework in the form of writing and structuring between sessions. Besides of the course content and assistance during your writing process, it will provide you with the support of ‘writing buddies’ who are working on similar projects.
THE COURSE CONSISTS OF 5 MODULES, WHERE WE WILL WORK TOGETHER ON ZOOM AND WRITING ASSIGNMENTS BETWEEN THE MEETINGS.
Module 1: Writing to become a published author & getting started
Writing to become a published author
- The difference between writing for yourself and writing to be published.
- Things you need to know right from the start
- Your motivation is key – exercise to explore your motivation
- How to sustain the writing process – staying motivated, creative, productive and overcome obstacles
- Being Creative – exercise to connect with creative part, your ‘writing-self’ and anchor it
- How to define your subject & core message
- How to bring your message across: style, format, mixture
- How to find your unique angle and stick to it: message, knowledge, readership, market, research
Assignment / Homework: create a working title, define your subject, describe your unique angle and message, define your audience.
Module 2: What’s is your book about & how to write, edit and sustain the process
The first part of this zoom session will focus on the outcome of your homework / assignment from your first zoom session. We will work in pairs in zoom rooms. You will introduce and discuss your book with your partner, such as your working title, your subject, your unique angle and message, which style you will use and what you know about your envisaged audience.
I will be present in each room to answer questions and provide individual help.
The second part of this session will focus on the structure of your book, the rhythm of your writing and on editing
- How to structure your fist book: the importance of parts, chapters, headings and format
- Exercise: Creating headings publishers love
- How to get the job done: passion, motivation and writing rhythms
- How to handle procrastination, distractions and self-sabotaging behaviours
- The flowing writer: essential tips for ‘letting your writing flow’
- The tough editor: essential tips for ‘thorough and tough editing’
Assignment / Homework: Write and edit a short chapter of your book
Module 3: How to improve your writing & all you need to know about publishing
This session will provide a space to discuss the chapter you wrote and address questions, challenges and ideas. This will take place in pairs and also in the group with myself.
Teaching: All about publishing
- Intro and overview: proposing to publishers or self-publishing?
- Agents & publishers
- Publishers: about remits and sales
- What matters: expertise, credentials, relevant subjects, interesting subjects, specific angles, endorsements and more
- The importance of cultivating platforms: Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram, Twitter, Blocks
- How to write a book proposal for publishers or agents
- How to write a brief bio for publishers
Homework: write a 400 word proposal and a brief bio for publisher
Module 4: Writing / Editing / Questions – Bringing it all together
This module will is designed for you to have your questions answered, discuss content, structure and writing and editing issues. I will ask you to send me your questions beforehand.
I will include more teaching, based on the development of the group and on the questions, and also exercises that will assist you to sustain your writing process.
Teaching might also include the first steps of pre-marketing
Assignment / Homework: create the full content outline, three sample chapters and – if appropriate – a full proposal
Module 5: Follow up – check-in for assistance with your writing process
The follow-up zoom session is for you to ‘check-in’ and get the assistance you need with your writing or publishing process.
We will also look into ‘pre-publishing marketing’ and other issues should that be required.
Dates and times:
Module 1 Zoom 22nd April 2020 6pm – 8.30pm
Module 2 Zoom 6th May 2020 6pm – 8.30pm
Module 3 Zoom 13th May 2020 6pm – 8.30pm
Module 4 Zoom 27th May 2020 6pm – 8.30pm
Module 5 – to be discussed with group
£ 95.00 for all zoom modules